31 January, 2021
Skeptics and other “free-thinkers” around the world are inclined to mark two special days in each year.
One, of course is December 25th. (That’s Isaac Newton’s birthday). The other is the anniversary of Charles Darwin’s birthday, in Shrewsbury England on February 12th 1809.
Quite a lot of useful, informative and entertaining stuff about Charles Darwin already exists on this site. Rather than add to it, this year we’ll just provide the links.
Charles Darwin Articles
“About Charles Darwin”
Darwin – A Great Scientist by Rosslyn Ives https://vicskeptics.wordpress.com/events/darwin-a-great-scientist/
For Schools: – The Darwin Day Suite of Classroom Exercises
Charles Darwin Crossword:
28 October, 2016
If you are not yet familiar with the educational material you can download here, click on the “Useful Info” tab above.
Read the rest of this entry »
31 July, 2015
Vic Skeptics produces original classroom material, which we make available free.
It’s mainly aimed at Science teaching and learning, but it serves a wide range of topics and age groups.
We invite you to look over and sample our down-loadable .pdfs, which include:
- “A Skeptics Guide to ……“ discussion sheets
- Crosswords (blackline masters)
- Wordsearches and quizzes (blackline masters)
- Cryptograms (blackline masters)
- The Darwin Day Suite of classroom exercises
Go HERE or click on the USEFUL INFO tab at the top of the page
6 February, 2015
Thursday February 12 is the 206th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin.
Darwin Day is celebrated around the world by Skeptics and fellow free-thinkers. Here is an article by Rosslyn Ives which discusses Darwin’s life, work and continuing importance.
In Melbourne this year you will have at least three opportunities to participate in Darwin Day-related events.
On Tuesday February 10th there is a Darwin Day Barbecue & Lecture at the Unitarian Hall, 110 Grey Street East Melbourne VIC 3002; barbecue from 5pm, lecture 8pm.
On Thursday February 12th Skeptics, Humanists and Progressive Atheists invite you to a Darwin Day Barbecue in the Boat Shed area of Studley Park. Here is a poster for that event. https://vicskeptics.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/melbddposter2015.jpg
On Saturday February 14th Melbourne Freethinkers have a Picnic in the Park from 12 pm. Fitzroy Gardens, 230-298 Wellington Parade Melbourne 3002
Most of our teacher friends will already be familiar with Vic Skeptics’ Darwin Day Suite of classroom exercises. There’s something useful here for every year level from Primary to VCE. https://vicskeptics.wordpress.com/for-sale/stuff-for-teachers-education-resources/darwin-day-february-12-classroom-suite-of-exercises/
19 January, 2014
This year there are two events in Melbourne to celebrate CHARLES DARWIN’s BIRTHDAY.
- On Tuesday afternoon / evening from 5pm February 11 it’s open house for freethinkers. The venue is the Unitarian Church at 110 Grey Street East Melbourne (Melways 2G D2). It’s a Barbecue (BYO everything) followed by an 8 pm talk by Rick Barker of the Philosophy Forum) “Exploring the Pleistocene: A crucial time for the speciation and specialization of Modern Humans”.
- On Wednesday February 12, The Humanist Society host a celebration of Charles Darwin Day at Studley Park on Wednesday 12/2/14 from 5 pm. Anybody is welcome to join in. Again, its a Barbecue. BYO everything.
- Teachers may like to make use of one or more of the classroom exercises in our Darwin Day Suite,
- Our February Skeptical Crossword is all about Charles Darwin. We’ve posted it early for you,
20 January, 2012
You are invited to join us in celebrating Charles Darwin’s birthday with a Barbeque on Sunday, 12th February 2012 from about noon till ??? on the banks of the Yarra at Alexandra Avenue Melbourne.
Melways, 2G D11 Just west from the Morell Bridge and Anderson Street. Next to the Botanic Gardens.
Free BBQ facilities available
BYO food and drinks.
Since the early 1990s, Darwin Day has been celebrated around the world including in Melbourne. Every year we’ve said “this year’s celebrations will be the biggest party so far”, and we’ve been pretty much right. Come along and enjoy a summer BBQ by the Yarra.
TEACHERS: for our suite of Darwin Day Classroom Exercises, go here: https://vicskeptics.wordpress.com/for-sale/stuff-for-teachers-education-resources/darwin-day-february-12-classroom-suite-of-exercises/
For a brief article about Charles Darwin, go here: https://vicskeptics.wordpress.com/2007/11/27/about-charles-darwin/