What are the two words?
2. In a TV show, a prize has been placed behind one of four doors. Each door has a sign on it.
You are then told that only one of the doors has the correct information on it. The other three are all misleading.
Which door has the correct sign on it?
Behind which door is the prize to be found?
I have some pencils and some jars.
If I put 4 pencils into each jar I will have one jar left over.
If I put 3 pencils into each jar I will have one pencil left over.
How many pencils and how many jars?
4. Again I have some pencils and some jars.
If I put 9 pencils into each jar I will have two jars left over.
If I put 6 pencils into each jar I will have three pencils left over. How many pencils and how many jars?
5. Using Australian legal tender coins, (5c, 10c, 20c & 50c) how many different ways can you make the sum of 50 cents?
A 50 cent piece is counted as one way;
20 cents + 20 cents + 10 cents
is the same as
20 cents + 10 cents + 20 cents.)
6. In 1990, a certain person was 15 years old. In 1995, the same person was 10 years old. How is this possible?
7. A solid, four centimetre cube of wood is coated with paint on all six faces; then the cube is cut into smaller one centimetre cubes.
These new one-centimetre cubes will have either three painted faces, two painted faces, one painted face, or no painted faces.
a. How many of the cubes will have three painted faces?
b. How many of the cubes will have two painted faces?
c. How many of the cubes will have one painted face?
d. How many of the cubes will have no painted faces?
Three cards from a standard deck face are down. To the left of the queen are one or two jacks. To the right of the jack are one or two jacks. To the right of the club are one or two diamonds. To the left of the diamond are one or two diamonds.
What are the three cards?
9. A family of Mum, Dad and three kids went to the pictures.
The children were charged half price.
If the total cost was $30.10, what was the price of an adult ticket?
10. How many possible opening moves are there in a game of chess?