1. The number 289 is a perfect square. What is its square root?
2. What is the next number in this sequence?
27, 125, 343, …
3. What number does n stand for in this sequence?
3, 7, 10, 17 , n , 44, 71
4. The Smith Family and the Jones family go on a picnic together.
Mr and Mrs Smith each have three daughters, and so do Mr and Mrs Jones. Each of the girls has one brother.
How many people at the picnic?
6. Freddo the magic frog can jump 10 metres using his magical magic jump but his magic loses its power by a half each time, so his next jump only goes as far as 5 metres. The next jump will take him 2.5 metres, and so on. How many jumps does it take to make it all the way across a 100 metre long pond?
7. What is the sum of the numbers on a standard clock face?
8. You’ve just purchased your first new home.
When you arrive to beginning moving in, you discover that the builder forgot something. Being a self-reliant sort of person, you decide to finish the job yourself.
You stroll down to the local hardware store and find exactly what you need at a price you can afford.
The hardware store charges perfectly reasonable prices for the items; 7 will cost $1.00, 10 will cost $2.00, and 100 will cost $3.00. As it happens, you need 880, which also costs $3.00.
These items could likely be found at any hardware store, and at your average home.
What did the builder forget?
9. There were 100 chocolates in a box. The box was passed down along a row of people.
The first person took one chocolate. Each person down the row took more chocolates than the person before, until the box was empty.
What is the largest number of people that could have been in the row?
10. A solo dice game is played where, on each turn, a normal pair of dice is rolled. The score is calculated by taking the product, rather than the sum, of the two numbers shown on the dice.
On a particular game, the score for the second roll is 5 more than the score for the first; the score for the third roll is 6 less than that of the second; the score for the fourth roll is 11 more than that of the third; and the score for the fifth roll is 8 less than that of the fourth. What was the score for each of these five throws? Write your answer as five numbers in the correct order.